26 September 2013

The Brownlee Tri ... what a day!


The Brownlee Tri. This is going to be a difficult one to write. Until the last 15 minutes of the day it was great, then kabang! 

Here's the story; I can't quite remember how I found out about the Brownlee Tri, but I did - and signed up straight away to the 'advanced notification' of entries now open, yep I was that keen. I think the idea of racing over the same course if not at the same time with the lad's was great, it would even give me a chance to see how a mere mortal compared with two of our greatest triathletes.
The idea the Brownlees had of introducing people to triathlon was great and really worked - to a point. I understand  that out of the 1000 entries - for about a third of them, this was their first tri.  Although the entry fee of £61.50 for a super sprint was a bit of a shocker! - I thought the organisers wanted to encourage folk into tri not turn them off for life! Makes you wonder how many more first timers they would have had if the cost of entry was closer to the norm for a super sprint of say £25, now that would have looked good on telly 1,330 first timers rather than the 330! anyway. Organisers being a tad greedy and cashing in the Brownlee name? Never.
 The backdrop for all this was the outstanding National trust site at Fountains Abbey 

It was great to see this site used in such a positive way, odd really because just the week before the Chair of the National Trust, Simon Jenkins made a number of ridiculous, ignorant and ill informed remarks about Triathlon and the ITU World Triathlon Championships held in London the week earlier.
These are his misunderstood uttering's

and this is one of the many open letter rebuttals by Chrissie Wellington to his ignorance- go Chrissie!
Leading up the weather had been a bit dodgy but on race day we were blessed with no wind and sun, the water was still cold though, I train in it so I was ok but to many that were doing this for the first time I bet it came as a bit of a shock. There were waves throughout the day broken up at lunch by an excellent Brownlee Challenge, the idea was for Ali and Jonny to go head-to- head and give us all a bit of a demo - they did, it was great - the only thing was Alistair was suffering from an injury form the week before so he had two lucky people chosen via twitter to be part of his team, he just did the bike - but that just made it a little more fun. 
Only 3 people got under 17 minutes on the bike that day. Jonny 16:57 Alistair with a 16:27 and me sandwiched in between them with a 16:45, happy with that! (obviously!)
 After lunch came the youth team relays, although it wasn't really a relay?   they all did the normal course, it was just the fastest 3 out of a team of 4 added together. There were some super speedy youth elites amongst this group, with the Union Jack side panels in their GB suits making us mere GB age groupers hang our heads in shame.
I was in the last wave of the day, the 'under 35' - yep that's me. Now what I hadn't realised until a couple of days before was that for the winners a couple of hot prizes awaited. Namely a Boardman Bike Frame and A Huub Archimedes Wetsuit, and a pair of the new Adidas BOOST trainers - this was it, this was providence, I had been trying to sort out how I was going to get a decent roady frame for some draft legal races I plan to do next year, currently I share my old TCR with my mum, not ideal having to move stem, handles bars, saddle and take the basket off every time I use it. (ok, I was joking about the basket, but you get the idea) What’s more, according to the race info the prizes would go to the ‘top 3 (excluding elites)’ and the super speedy relays guys (who’s entry was £39) wouldn’t be in it, they had their own prizes of some posh running shoes. 
'

I was definitely in with a shout if I pushed myself, so to cut a short story even shorter, I did push myself. I came out of the water in fourth, into transition in 2nd out of transition in 1st did my bike thing, held up on the run and finished… don’t forget this was just my wave of 50 or so...





I looked at the leader board and I was in…. 3rd .... behind… let me check.. Jonny, ok he doesn’t count, then Junior Elite James Teagle.. hey, he was in the relays and he’s an elite he doesn’t count either! Result. 


The bike is mine, no more sharing with mum, now I would have something decent to compete on next year. With Mika Brown picking up the 2nd spot and the wetsuit.
And to top it all I was going to be presented it by Jonny and Alistair themselves. Double result.
So presentation time, one of the biggest crowds I have been in front of, banks of cameras and expectant looking faces. I quickly borrowed a GB jacket to cover my Canada swopsy jacket form Mika’s dad, I was ready.
 And then the announcement ... in 3rd place, Mika Brown - the shoes, hang on, that’s wrong? Mika gets the suit and he was second, right? And in 2nd place, Tom Stead - the suit*, gutted, head spinning, brave face, what’s going on?
1st place James Teagle  - the bike. Bit of a blur, well done from the Brownlees. Slick PR people kick in, line us all up for the photo shots. Someone from Huub (I think) takes the empty wetsuit box from me and tells me how to get one the right size from them. Not a clue what they said. Suppose I best email them.




Complaint and a need for an explanation goes in, I was asked to write to the PR people at The Professional Sports Group (@profsports) who I gather are the main rollers behind Brownlee Tri, for them to sort out, I did, I think they realised a mistake had been made, I got fobbed off**, apparently they didn’t mean ‘excluding elites’ and even though the race timing system was set up for the two events and the wording in all the paperwork and the website was for two, they only meant’ it to be one. Oh ok, that’s alright then.
Organisers, you take our money (lots of it) - don't let us down!

**5 or snips taken form event and results info here.

BTW I don't want to take anything away from James, he's obviously a class athlete.

Latest from our follow-up to their follow-up is, they will try and get the boys to do a signed T-shirt for me! (What am I, 7?) Why the hell didn’t they say that in the first place?! I would take a £20 signed T-shirt over a £1,500 bike frame any day.

So to sum up
A great day, too pricey, great venue, great to meet the Brownlees, great to beat Jonny ‘s time on the bike;) great to think I had won a frame. Shit to find out I hadn’t.  Absolute shambles in regards to follow up PR from The Professional Sports Group - shame, spoilt a good day.

Bitter? You bet.


* I have to say here that the Huub Archimedes Wetsuit is a fantastic prize and I really am grateful and chuffed to have it. Under any other circumstances I would be jumping for joy. (I am actually jumping for joy;)


Powered by Cincopa