17 November 2014

So, since Kitzbuhel...

British Triathlon Federation 'Male AG Triathlete of the Year'

So, since Kitzbuhel, I have been rather busy. Let me 'bullet point' it a bit for you.

On 6th July I took part in the English Triathlon Championships in July and again a great result, and took ‘gold’ winning the U20’s English title.

I celebrated my 18th birthday!

At the end of July saw me being nominated and winning ‘The Hunts Post Sports Awards ‘Best Achievement for U18’. A time to put some good clobber on.

August Bank Holiday saw me taking part, along with my team mates from Body Limits Corley Cycles, at the Nottingham National Relays.  And we had a great race, finishing 3rd overall.  Sadly, we were dq'd - due to a 'technical' issue (non-advantage or cheating I must add!) But a great day all the same.


Then it was off to Canada for the World Triathlon Championships in Edmonton, Canada. What an amazing experience. 


Having competed at the World Aquathlon Championships in London in 2013 I had prequalified for these championships also, so I thought it would be good to have a bit of a warm up and took part in this race in Edmonton. A 10th place for me (but no disappointment here, as after all I am a ‘cyclist’!). 


The main race came, and I was feeling excited and ready. Sadly, on the day, it was not to be I really messed up with my race prep - too many recces so close to race day left me with nothing in the tank on the day, I finished in 6th place. First European, but I am very disappointed with this result. Had my race prep been right I should have medalled. 
It's a learning thing I guess! 

I know I can’t complain, what I have accomplished this year has been beyond my expectations - I wish I could have brought back a medal from Canada, damn. 



The good news is, I have pre-qualified already for the European and World Duathlon championships and the European and World Triathlon championships for 2015! With the backing of a generous neighbour in the village, who has offered me some of their 'air miles' I am hoping I will have the opportunity to retain my titles and of course try for the World Triathlon title in Chicago.

Another surprise, at the end of the year was my nomination for the prestigious Award of the British Triathlon Federation 'Male AG Triathlete of the Year' - this meant I had to get 'suited & booted' (I put into use some of that useful Uni money and bought a suit!). Followed by a trip to Loughborough for the Annual Awards dinner.  Am pleased to say I won it ... which I am delighted with because there are some very, very, good age group triathletes out there also vying for this prize! 


I have just started my first year at University at Bedford, studying Sports Science and Personal Training. A new experience for me - 'fresher's week' actually two which drifted into four! Things have settled down now and I've fallen in with the right crowd (which has pleased mum & dad) A great bunch of runners which is great for me, I'm enjoying running again and getting back to some pretty descent times. 



As I suspected right from the offset my tri suit printing business - 'iPrintStuff', has quietened down as the season comes to a close (phew). I have to say this is perfect what with the new commitment to training and the new demands of uni. I still have a steady flow of customers but it's all manageable.

Lastly (but not 'leastly') I must thank everyone that has helped me this year (and there's been a lot of you!) from my swim coach, Adam from GreenlightPT, my race team and sponsors from Body Limits Corley Cycles. The guys that have kept me going, Tony at The Sports Injury Clinic and the help from Insight Nutrition. 

I need to make a special mention to all those club mates from Nicetri, friends, family, neighbours and strangers that put their hands in their pockets and enabled me to race in Spain and Canada through a funding website called 'Talent Backers' - thank you, it means a huge amount.

Looking forward I'm please to say that in my 2015 season I will again get the support from Corley Cycles and very excitingly I'm currently talking with a new sponsor - Pedal Potential-in a nutshell Pedal Potential support people with pedal potential to realise ambitions and achieve success. Really looking forward to working with them. 

So, a whole new period in my life is about to start. I'll keep you posted.... 

"keeeeep training!"

Tom