1 July 2013

TT vs Roady?...

On Saturday 29th June I went along to the Llandudno Triathlon.  It was another of the World Qualifier races, and although I had already (thankfully) qualified at Nottingham, having paid the exorbitant entry fee, we thought a weekend at the seaside might be quite nice!  So we booked a last minute b & b and set off on Saturday morning for the race.
I had been debating long and hard whether to use my road bike or my TT bike! The talk on Facebook etc was very much that the route round The Orme was hard, difficult, steep, technical, bendy, road bikes only etc, I finally decided to use my TT bike, with team mate Ian Turner making a last minute decision (#turnertime) to use his road bike! Only time would tell who had made the right choice. I arrived in plenty of time for the race, so thought it would be a good idea to drive the route! It wasn’t the steepest I’ve ridden on, but it did go on for quite a while. Just driving the descent was fun so I was looking forward to tearing down it in a super aero tuck later! We then checked into our B & B (we had decided because of the long drive to stay the night). Time was getting on so we walked down to registration; there was a massive queue (1)... Almost out the door! 

At this point I was slightly anxious as I only had 55 minutes to register, set up transition and put my tri-suit and wetsuit on! The queue slowly moved and I finally had my ‘race pack’! I then put the number on my belt and the tattoo transfers on my arms and left leg! Shot over to transition, where the security (2)for getting in, I must say was rubbish! Anyway, bike was racked and blowing in the wind and transition was set up!
Time check; 15 minutes till race start... I hadn’t even got my tri suit on. There was a massive queue for the portaloo’s so I made my way, quickly, back to registration where there were some more toilets; after queuing for a while I managed to suit up! 
Time check; 5 minutes till race start... PANIC #turnertime! I rushed to the start hopping along as I tried to get my wetsuit on! Finally I was ready and the race was due to start any second! Luckily for me, the start was late... 10 mins late! Relax. The start was a water start, but you had to swim about 200m to it! This would have been OK,  but for some of the 'poorer' swimmers, this did delay the start even more while they made their way to the start buoys leaving everyone else treading water.(3)


The horn kinda, sounded (a half hearted effort finishing with the starter shouting GO) and we were off, first 10 strokes then BANG hit in the face and goggles were now on my forehead... Not ideal, turned onto my back and adjusted the goggles! Right, let’s try again... I got into a rhythm and settled down. I still had a tiny bit of water in my goggles, salt water, not a problem with my normal breathing stroke, but I'm nosey, I like to look around a bit, yep you guessed it, salt in the eye - ouch. In the last 100m of the swim I managed to come across a jellyfish. It 'became' part of the 'catch' phase of my stroke, I pulled it backwards and took it for the adrenaline rush of its life, and all the thanks I got was a massive sting on the wrist, ouch again. I was out the water in roughly 25th place! 

I remember watching the elites in Turkey, it was so intense from start to finish, really 'full on', even in the transitions! So I got out and I was on a mission to get to my bike, overtaking quite a few racers on the way. The transition, was huge (4) and was set up wrongly! It wasn’t a diagonal like most transitions (in at the top right, out at the bottom left for example)which meant the transition was longer for people on the far row! Guess where I was... Yup!! Competitors in this far row, after looking at the splits took on average 40 seconds longer, that's like saying 'you guys swim 750m and you guys just swim 700m' not pleased.
Because the cycling stage is my favourite and best discipline I decided to go for it! And I did just that. I worked my way through the field and after the first lap I was up to 3rd Place with only Sam Parker and Ali Rogers ahead of me!



Half way round the second lap I caught Sam. I had the fastest bike split of the day! I was especially pleased with this because my chain had come off twice during the ascents! Ali stayed in first place and headed out onto the run. Sam and I came into T2 in 2nd and 3rd around 30 seconds behind Ali, after going through the tightest, most dangerous  in/out bike funnel I have ever seen, I was going to say it was a miracle there was no accidents, but thinking back, I bet there were - I don't know. At most events the 'mount/dismount line is outside or close to the exit of the funnel, here the mount/dismount line was at the entrance of the long funnel. You had riders tearing out on both sides of the funnel 'on a mission' on the way out hitting 20 odd mph and riders coming back on a charge downhill vying for the same space in the funnel also hitting 20 mph. They met at the entrance to the funnel on a 'blind' bend (it wasn't, but seemed that way with all the spectators lining this area.) After I had finished I noticed that the entrance had been hastily altered, better, and probably saved someone a hospital visit.(5)

Because the run route was an out and back my plan was always to go out easy/comfortable and let loose on the way back! Sam soon caught me and started to pull away slowly. We ran and ran and ran(6 & 7). The marshals just kept saying ‘carry on’ ‘carry on’! So we did! It got to the point where we couldn’t believe why we were still running; we still had to get back yet! We got to around the 10k turn and knew that the marshals were wrong! We then decided to run back together. On the way we picked up Thomas Kneller and Jonny Dudley who were also sent the wrong way! We jogged through the line with a 5k split of 36 minutes... I’ve done faster! 
 Then came the appeals and the ‘controlled’ arguments. I was 'OK' because I had qualified at Nottingham but Ali Rogers, Thomas Kneller and Sam Parker were still to qualify.  I wish them all the best in getting this sorted and receiving a discretionary/roll down place! Something is very wrong if they don't.
The next day I was looking at the results and us three; Sam, Ali and I could well have come top 3. Which order? Nobody will ever know!! Which is rather annoying!!??????

So, after my obvious annoyance, some advice for the organisers and some clear ways to sort out their mistakes, (people 'in power' are not always right)
I know that at being only 17 (well very nearly anyway) you could question how or what gives me the right to do this, but most of this is, well, simples..

I have hardly ever questioned any organisers in the past, but this being a World qualifier I had expected close to perfection, especially due to the cost of entry (£65) and the very unbendable rules they had set in place, i.e. 'no photo id no race', no transfers, no refund (you could advise the organisers that you weren't going, you would not get a refund, they would however sell your spot to the reserve list - outrageous. 

You be the judge of weather these guys went that xtra mile.

Massive queue (1) Hey guys, lots of people need to register, get more helping hands (the ones that were there where great btw)

Transition security (2) Having some disinterested guy glance at the lower half of my tat number does not fill me with confidence.

Treading water.(3) Very neat in the diagram, but did we really need to start so far from land? why not 20m off the beach and swim to the first buoy?

The transition (4) I have already explained why this was unfair but also the order of racking? it's normally in age/group order not alphabetically. Why alphabetically, when I was collecting my gear an hour after my race had finished I almost got in the way of a guy in the standard race racked next to me who was 'in the zone' racking his bike and donning his race shoes.

Bike exit/entrance (5) really, really dangerous, simple fix - one in, one out (quick reminder, it was a World qualifier) 

We ran and ran and ran(6) A lead bike would have alerted pedestrians on the promenade and shown the way to the lead runners (even if the turn round marshal was incompetent and as it turns out a liar*) this would have sorted out all of the 'no turn round' issues. 

We ran and ran and ran(7) Volunteers are always the backbone of these events and we thank them fully for it. However (quick reminder again, this was a World qualifier) someone competent or at least briefed well was needed here, that and the obvious 5k 'Turnaround here' sign would do, which was nonexistent btw.

This btw is one of the busiest spots on the bike course, the roundabout. This is were you enter the lap cousre, exit the course and go through for the next lap. If you look vary carefully you may spot a couple of things..... 
...no?, ok. 1/ a 20m long 'land train' 2/ two cars 3/a few casual walkers.

As an afterthought, did 77 people really get bang on 2 minutes for T1? - questionable.

* After we had finished (much later) we were informed that the turn round marshal had told us to turn round and that we ignored him. Yer right, we are in podium position (or there abouts) and we say 'no way are we turning round, I feel the wind in my hair and I'm going on, you can't stop me'

I think what has made this all the worse is that we tried to 'file our complaint' to the race director for almost 2 hours. Loud speaker announcements where sent out many times. We even towards the end approached a BTF official in transition to see if we could find him. We came away empty handed without finding him, bit of a shame really for as this photo shows we were right next to him.


xtra mile, don't think so.

Next post, back to normal, promise!

 My thanks as always to these guys:-
GreenLightPT
Insight Nutrition
Sports Injury Clinic
Tri-Crazy 
And the others that help me...  You know who you are!